Thursday 28 November 2013

Write about what you know

Write about what you know is sound advice, and it’s been repeated time and again. Cornish history has figured in several of my books. I was born in Cornwall and I can trace my Cornish ancestry back to the mid sixteen hundreds. Any self-respecting Cornishman knows about the historian, A L Rowse, who rose from obscurity to be elected a Fellow at All Souls Oxford. I am linked to him through a man called Ned Vanson who was the lodge gate-keeper at Tregrehan Estate near St Austell. He was Leslie Rowse’s grandfather and my great great grandfather. Was that what gave me an interest in history? Who knows. It certainly doesn’t stop me enjoying writing historical novels. You’ll find more information at: www.thenovelsofdavidhough.com

No comments:

Post a Comment